Dr Hammed Ojodu
Ag. Director, CESA
Entrepreneurship has been in existing as far back as in the 17th Century. The first recorded trading act was in 17,000 BC when people exchanged a volcanic glass (obsidian) for food, skins, tools, and other needed items. Agriculture was the first area of business that people venture into. People were engaging in food production and other businesses. After the independence, Nigerians became aware of the danger the colonial educational system has caused on entrepreneurship and economic growth. Effort were then put in place to reverse it in Nigeria.
To achieve this, Government then established direct support to the Entrepreneurship Support Agencies to stimulate, support and sustain (SMES). Hence, government realized that to change the educational systems is to encourage entrepreneurship in the Higher Institution in Nigeria.
In line with the above, a centre initially known as Entrepreneurship Study Centre (ESC) now the Centre for Entrepreneurship and Skills Acquisition (CESA) was established in Lagos State University of Science and Technology (formerly known as Lagos State Polytechnic).
Also, the Centre has been very consistent in it, vocational programme. In achieving this some skills were carefully selected for practiced facilitation by the technologist at the Centre. Every students is expected to pick only one skill for their practical classes in two semesters. There is no rule restricting students to only one skill throughout their programme as students are known for taking another skill in their preceding semester. But no student is allowed to take more than one skill in a semester.
The Centre, apart from its primary duty of facilitating both theory and practical classes in Entrepreneurship Education for the students of the institution, has some other programmed for both the students of the University and people outside the university communities one of such programme is the “Skill Up”.
Skill Up is a programme in which intending participants who wish to acquire/learn any of the skills available in the Centre are to obtain application form for a three (3) months duration. Certificates are usually awarded to successful candidates on completion of their programme. These “certificates of completion as tenable anywhere in the federation for gainful employment in the related field. The programme usually runs through the year.
- To equip students with the techniques of generating business idea
- To familiarize students with entrepreneurship development in Nigeria
- To develop business planning skills
- To acquire skills relating to strategies for consolidation and expansion of business enterprise
- To understand the need for both management and business succession plan.
- To understand the various existing industries and supporting agencies in Nigeria
- The Centre offered courses on entrepreneurship education which are both theoretical and practical in nature. The Centre presently offers thirteen (13) Skills which are:
- Leather work
- Events Planning and Decoration
- Pain Production
- Hair Dressing
- House Hold Production
- Food Processing Production
- Bead Making