Michael Olaniyi Adeniyi, PhD
Ag. Director, Academic Planning
The Academic Planning Unit, as contained in the Lagos State of Science and Technology (LASUSTECH) Academic Brief Vol. 1, page 31, has the following as its functions:
- Preparing and revising the academic brief of the University;
- Evaluating proposals for new academic programmes including Department and College for submission to the Senate and the NUC;
- Promoting linkages with other institutions;
- Monitoring and maintaining academic standards through periodic curriculum review, instituting course and teacher evaluation criteria and guidelines such as peer assessment, annual performance assessment, and student opinion survey, among others.
- Maintaining a computer data bank on all aspects of the University including enrolment statistics for use in planning and other management requirements.
- Any other assignment by the Vice-Chancellor
The set-up of the Directorate of Academic Planning (DAP) in the Lagos State University of Science and Technology (LASUSTECH) is divided into three sections, namely:
- Academic Resource and Process Planning Unit
- Academic Programme and Feedback Planning Unit
- Statistics and Publication Unit
Each unit is headed by an Assistant Director who reports directly to the Director, Academic Planning (DAP). The DAP reports directly to the Vice Chancellor. The pioneer Acting Director, Academic Planning is Dr. Michael Olaniyi Adeniyi.
- Data collection, analysis, and interpretation from relevant organs of the University e.g. Colleges, Departments, Centres, Administrative units, etc.
- Management and development of robust data base on all aspects of the University operation for use by the University as it deems fit especially information on the University/Academic facilities
- Annual/Periodical update and analyze data for evaluation on the performance status of the University on all NUC approved parameters and guidelines.
- Provision of data for the purpose of planning and preparation of the University budget
- Provides basis for process planning by using collected data for making projections and advising the University/Vice-Chancellor on areas of critical concern
- Identification of new guidelines and criteria and modification of existing guidelines for resource allocation
Participation in the production and/or revision of short-term, medium-term, and long-term plans, academic briefs and modeling of such against reality and University goals
- Preserve and keep up-to-date records on the accreditation status of all academic programme in the University
- Compute Full Time Equivalent (FTE) and staff requirements per programme
- Provide and monitoring of the completion of self-study form B by Departments in readiness for NUC Programmes Verification/Accreditation
- Communicate relevant units with necessary information on NUC minimum academic standards
- Ensure that the University complies and maintain standards
- Collect, collate, process, and generate University statistics annually (based on NUC’s approved formats) for submission to NUC as and when due using the NUC template
- Ensure that only programmes with NUC’s approved Benchmark Minimum Academic Standard (BMAS) are allowed to run in the University
- Make available BMAS for each discipline to all colleges, Departments, and widely circulated among academic staff in the University for ease of reference
- Ensure the completion and submission of application forms for the establishment of new units and academic programmes and splitting of programmes and units at all levels
- Maintain up-to-date records on admissions, student enrollment, graduate output at all times. This should be done in collaboration with the registry and ICT unit of the University
- Ensure that the University follows due process when applying for the establishment of new academic units/programmes and ensure that approval is obtained from NUC before such programmes are commenced
- Participate in the production and revision of short-term, medium-term, and long-term plans, academic briefs and modeling of such against reality and University goals
- Prepare/review academic calendar for the University and ensure that it is implemented
- Documentation and storage of information on the academic programme in the University
- Preparation of research materials/papers on account of data supplied from the feedback planning unit
- Analysis and interpretation of the University’s annual and trend statistics
- Publication of the University records, statistics, and research reports as may be directed or approved by the Vice-Chancellor
- Documentation of Academic publications by staff and providing summary statistics annually/periodically for monitoring and evaluation of academic performance
- Monitoring academic planning activities as provided by Committee of Directors of Academic Planning of Nigerian Universities (CODAPNU)
- Updating of the unit’s “Planning Officers’ Manual” and organizing periodic capacity development programmes for new staff and other staff of the unit in areas needed to enhance productivity and performance
- Collection and storage of statistical publication from other Universities.